Wednesday, February 8

Give A Dog A Cookie

I don't know about you, but running out of dog treats is equal to running out of toilet paper when your on the John. It's a semi-long bus ride, shimming my way to the back of the over-crowded pet store to find the 'special' treats and final defeat as the bus home whirls past.

A few months ago I set out to make my own. I figured if I could make cookies for myself, I could defiantly make cookies for Regis. After a few google searches and a few batches this is my tried and true recipe.

Peanut Butter & Oatmeal Dog Treats
Makes: about 5 dozen 

  • 3/4 cup quick oatmeal
  • 11/2 cup flour (you may use white or whole wheat)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (Regis prefers chunky)
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 Tbs parsley (*optional*)
  • 1 egg beaten
In large bowl combine oatmeal, flour and parsley. Melt peanut better, add to dry mixture along with chicken broth and olive oil. Dough should be firm and slightly sticky. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with your favorite shapes. Transfer to non-stick cookie sheet (ungreased). Brush each cookie with a light coating of beaten egg. Bake in 350* oven for 20 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on wire rack. These treats freeze well and last for 4 months frozen; simply remove from the freezer, thaw and reward. 

Regis Eating Peanut Butter
He had to lick the spoon. 

In Happy Pups

No comments: